The holidays are over and it is now time to take stock of the gifts given to the kids. Mom and dad may be careful to pick toys that are fun, safe, and age-appropriate, but Aunt Kathy who has grown kids or confirmed bachelor Uncle John may not even consider issues of safety. These toys may get lost in the frenzy of Christmas morning, but it is not too late for parents to double-check new additions to the toy box.
The consumer safety group World Against Toys Causing Harm (WATCH) recently announced its 46th list of the 10 most dangerous toys on the market. Parents can use this list and the organization’s rationalization for its place on the list as a quick reference.
The list of this year‘s most dangerous toys
The biggest concerns remain choking hazards and eye injuries:
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll: The tutu and removable headband are choking hazards.
- Vtech’s Zoo Jamz Xylophone: The instrument’s mallet is a choking hazard.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster: This toy shoots foam discs that pose a danger to the eyes.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket: This rocket shoots 200 feet into the air, which then becomes a hazard as it comes down.
- Cutting Fruit Set: The stiff plastic slicing knife could injure the eyes or ears.
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleepytime Lights: The battery poses a danger if swallowed.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade: The toy poses a choking hazard or potential for blunt force injuries.
- NICI Wonderland Doll: MiniClara the Ballerina’s kitten accessories are a choking hazard.
- Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog: The leash could cause strangulation.
- Marvel Black Panther Claw: The toy can cause eye or facial injuries.
Parents need to be vigilant
Any trip to the toy section of the local retailer or big box store will feature many or all of these toys on their shelves. So do not be surprised if the child’s holiday surprises include them. All will come with disclaimers and warnings, but the fact remains that these and other toys present dangers to kids, particularly if a younger sibling gets a hold of an older sibling’s toy. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney can be a tremendous help if there are serious toy-related injuries to a child here in New Mexico.
While these and other toys sometimes come with disclaimers, they are not always clear or understandable, or prominent enough to be noticed.