Have you been preoccupied with holiday shopping lately? Picking out the perfect toys for your kids can be a blast–as long as the toys don’t turn out to be dangerous. Many people don’t think of toys as potential dangers. After all, what could possibly be harmful about cute, colorful playthings that give children so much entertainment? As it turns out, plenty.
Product liability is a serious issue, particularly when the products in question are toys intended for young children. The consumer watchdog group World Against Toys Causing Harm, or WATCH, has released a list of the ten worst toys currently available for purchase–and why they’re so dangerous.
Some toys that have small, detachable parts can cause choking hazards. These toys are particularly dangerous for infants and toddlers. The toys on this year’s list that have been singled out as choking hazards are:
- Itty Bittys plush stacking rings by Hallmark
- Hand Fidget Spinners by Kipp Brothers
- The Oval Xylophone by Plan Toys Inc.
- Brianna Babydoll by Melissa & Doug
Long cords or strings can strangle young children, causing oxygen deprivation or even death. This year, two toys have been cited as potential strangulation hazards:
- Pull Along Pony, by Tolo Toys Limited
- Slackers Slackline Classic Kit by Brand 44
Blunt force injury
There are several toys on this year’s list that WATCH says could cause serious blunt force trauma and other injuries such as facial damage:
- Wonder Woman Battle-Action Sword by Mattel
- Spider-Man Spider-Drone Official Movie Edition by Marvel and Skyrocket Toys
- Nerf Zombie Strike Dreadbolt Crossbow by Hasbro and Nerf.com
Would you have thought that a children’s toy could cause a serious fire? Yes, a fire. There is one toy available this year that could be a fire hazard for your kids:
- Jetts Heel Wheels by Razor USA
Toys are no fun if they end up causing an injury. This holiday season, be careful to research the toys you consider buying for your children to ensure that they will be safe and enjoyable and will not result in harm to anyone.